Fly Tipping Fines

It appears that fines are increasing for homeowners who employ “a man with a van” to remove household waste and it ends up being fly tipped. The homeowner is liable for prosecution and you should always use someone with a “Waste Licence”.

You are legally responsible for any household waste produced on your property. This is known as your ‘duty of care’. You could face an unlimited fine if your waste ends up fly-tipped and you cannot show that you took reasonable steps to prevent it. You must ensure it only transferred to an authorised person, such as a registered waste carrier or waste site that is appropriately registered with the relevant enforcement body.

If you are using a waste carrier (other than your Local Council) to remove household, garden or construction waste always ask for their waste carrier number. If in doubt check their details on the public register of waste carriers, or call the Environment Agency on 08708 506 506.

Always ask a carrier what exactly is going to happen to your waste and seek evidence that it is going to be disposed of appropriately. A legitimate, professional waste carrier who wants your business should not object to being asked reasonable questions.

Finally make sure you get a proper invoice and receipt for your waste and retain this as proof.

Local authorities provide Household Collection Recycling points where homeowners can take their own waste for disposal and recycling.

Contact your Local Authority to find out more services in your area.

The Parish Council can recommend our contractor who is licenced to remove waste or SBC has a list of verified traders on their website.

For more information then go to