We know from last year how disruptive snow fall and icy conditions can be, especially on our road networks. So in true British fashion we are hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.
Following heavy snowfall across the county please consider where appropriate the following advice:
- Only travel if absolutely necessary, and allow extra time for your journey
- Thoroughly defrost your vehicle before setting off – this includes clearing snow from your car roof
- Ensure you have plenty of fuel and check your engine’s oil and water levels
- Check your wipers and screen wash levels. Make sure your auto wiper control is switched off before turning the ignition on as this could blow the wiper control fuse if they are frozen to your windscreen
- Check the tread, pressure and condition of your tyres
- Ensure you have a fully charged mobile phone on you and ensure someone knows where you are going and when you are expected to arrive.
- Ensure you have suitable winter clothing, warm blankets, a torch and food and water in your car just in case you become stranded.
- Consider checking in on elderly or vulnerable neighbours. Make sure they are okay and know they can come to you if they need help.
You can keep up to date with latest road closures on our website, or read the latest news on weather warnings from the Met Office.