Swindon safe and warm
The Safe & Warm programme helps householders across Swindon to make their homes warmer and cheaper to heat, as well as reducing the risk from falls and fires in the home. The programme can install measures such as grab rails and steps to reduce the likelihood of a fall in the home, smoke alarms to improve fire safety and provides advice on reducing energy use, switching energy suppliers, reducing condensation and damp problems and controlling heating.
The Safe & Warm programme ensures as many households as possible can benefit from the support available through the scheme.
The following list details the areas where the programme may be able to offer support.
- Home insulation measures for privately owned or privately rented homes in the borough – the programme can advise on possible grants and subsidies that can reduce the cost of installing cost-effective energy saving measures in your home.
- Heating problems in privately owned or privately rented homes in the borough – the programme can advise on possible grants and subsidies that can reduce the cost of getting heating improvements or repairs in your home.
- Income Maximisation – Safe and Warm provide a free income maximisation service to help identify any benefits that you may be entitled to but are not currently claiming, and can help you through the application process for them if appropriate.
- Energy Debt Support – the programme can help people who have built up a debt to their gas or electricity provider, to negotiate repayment terms and make applications to Energy Trust Funds to write off energy debts and help with other household essentials. Support can also be given to help you apply for the Warm Homes
- Discount if appropriate, to reduce your fuel bills.
- Falls Prevention – the programme can provide advice on reducing the risk of a fall in the home, as well as possibly helping with small measures to reduce particular risks.
- Fire Safety – the programme can help you reduce your risk of fire within the home through fire safety advice and measures like smoke alarms.
- Water Saving – you can access free water saving measures for your home to help reduce water bills.
The programme can also provide free guides on energy saving in the home, fuel tariffs and reducing fuel bills, and reducing condensation and mould problems.
Please contact the Parish Clerk if you need more information or help, and we can put you in touch with one of our Ward Councillors