PC Nick Payne said: We are currently experiencing burglaries to properties across “Swindon, the areas of Rodbourne, Gorse Hill and Rodbourne Cheney are particularly affected.
Please make sure that your homes are secure, make sure all doors and windows are locked. If you see any suspicious activity please call “Swindon police on 101 or 999 if a crime is in progress.”
Here are some basic crime prevention tips to help keep your home and vehicle safe:
• Keep car keys out of sight
• Never leave keys in a plant pot or letter box, a thief will know where to look
• Keep front and back doors locked even when you are in the house to prevent people walking in without you knowing, also double check they are locked at night
• Fit doors with mortice locks
• All windows should be fitted with locks, except those designated as fire escapes
• Keep valuable items out of view and mark them with a property marking system
• Make sure you have good lighting around your property and consider investing in a burglar alarm
• Lock tools and ladders away so thieves can’t use them to break in
• Make sure you have up to date contents insurance
• If you see anyone acting suspiciously take down any descriptions and vehicle registration numbers and call us immediately on 999.