Scottish and Southern Energy (SSE) now has a Priority Services Register for anyone who needs extra support in the event of a power cut. The service is free to join and operates 24 hours a day.
You are eligible if you are:
- Dependant on electricity for home care or medical treatment
- Suffering from a chronic illness or recovering from surgery
- Someone with special communication needs – blind, partially sighted, deaf or hard of hearing
- A parent with a young baby
- In receipt of a state pension.
Once registered you will receive priority updates during any power cuts and will be advised by telephone if your power needs to be switched off for maintenance work to take place. If you prefer you can nominate someone to act on your behalf and information can also be provided in Braille or on audio CD.
In addition, service users have access to a welfare vehicle supplying warm meals, hot drinks and charging points – as well as portable generators for those with critical needs.
For more information please call 0800 294 3259. If you are using a mobile you can call 0345 072 1900, or dial 0800 316 5457 for a text phone service. You can also register online at: www.ssepd.co.uk/PriorityServicesRegistrationForm