Declarations of interest: MC is Chair of the Football Club.
17/67 Public Recess
17/68 Minutes of the previous committee meeting held on 21st September 2017
The minutes of the meeting held on 21st September 2017 were then approved on a resolution by DW and seconded by CB; all at the meeting were in favour.
17/69 Matters arising
17/70 Action Points
- 17/29. Ask the Tennis Club to provide their public liability insurance documents. ONGOING
- 17/29. Provide the TC with the 2017 figures that make up their payment due to the contract deadline. ONGOING. MH is working on this and will present to Nov Finance meeting.
- 17/17. Make sure committee chairs are invited to July finance meeting. CARRY FORWARD. Strategy meeting to be held 2nd Nov to cover this.
- 17/50. Clerk to arrange first aid course attendance with St Johns Ambulance. STILL TO BOOK
- 17/51. Clerk to sign up to SLCC course. STILL TO BOOK
- 17/52. Draft up completed version of sickness policy with amendments. DONE.
- 17/53. Write to Wroughton Clerk asking for more details on library business plan and where CPC funds would be going. Also need to see Wroughton’s precept for library funds added. ONGOING
- 17/54. Order jackets and magnetic signs for Allbuild. DONE
- 17/55. Order hi vis jackets for planter volunteers, DONE
- 17/56. Order new CVPA rockers. DONE
- 17/58. With IH, short list FM tender for Oct full council meeting. DONE
- 17/58. Create a tender requirement document. STILL TO DO
- 17/59. Schedule review of scanning old docs for 6 months’ time DONE
- 17/61. Order new noticeboard for Hodson. DONE
- 17/62. Ask SBC if they have a new tree specialist for rec ground inspection or whether they can refund our £100 expenditure on arranging the work privately. DONE, SBC UNABLE TO HELP AT THIS TIME
- 17/63. Advise water tank lid work can proceed. DONE
- 17/65. Remind all committees that budgets for 2017/18 precept need to be decided on a sent to finance committee for approval. DONE
- 17/24. Look at holding quarterly strategy meetings. CARRY FORWARD. Arrange for October for Chair and VC of each committee. DONE
17/71 FINANCE Review Accounts
The figures for October to date were reviewed with no comments.
A proposal was made by CB that the figures were accurate and accepted. Seconded by MC; all were in favour.
The document supplied by the Clerk represents a true and accurate reflection of the accounts for the month of October to date.
17/72 FINANCE Vote on accepting quote for Recreation Hall internal decorating. Cost of £537.54 no VAT from iDec
A proposal was made by CB, seconded by DW. All were in favour.
- £537.54 (no VAT) be paid to iDec for decorating the inside of the Rec Hall.
17/73 FINANCE Vote on new carpet for the Rec Hall costing £1,117.24 inc VAT from The Carpet Shop Swindon
A proposal was made by CB, seconded by DW to accept this quote. All were in favour.
- £1,117.24 inc VAT be spent on new flooring for the Recreation Hall.
It was noted that the Table Tennis club would be contacted to make sure they could supply floor coverings to protect the new flooring.
17/74 FINANCE Vote on STORM Flat roof inspection quote. £200 plus VAT
This is a requirement of our insurance.
A proposal was made by DW to approve this cost, CB seconded and all Cllrs were in favour
- £200.00 plus VAT be spent on a flat roof inspection for Rec Hall and pavilion by STORM.
17/75 FINANCE Vote on new railings costing £1,500 plus VAT for the museum by Allbuild
Now that the trench has been dug to protect the museum from damp, railings need to be installed.
A proposal was made by CB to approve this cost, MH seconded and all Cllrs were in favour.
- £1,500 plus VAT be spent on new railings for the museum.
17/76 FINANCE Proposal that the bin near the Farm Shop needs emptying an extra day per week, @ £2.50 per week, £130 per year
This bin is often reported as overflowing by our contractor, so the EGPA committee voted to have it emptied twice a week for a year to see if this resolved the problem.
This was discussed by Finance and a 3-month period was agreed on, starting in Spring next year.
A proposal was made by DW to carry out the above action, this was seconded by CB. All were in favour.
Starting in Spring 2018 the bin near the farm shop would be emptied twice a week for 3 months to see if it reduced the overflowing issue.
The Clerk is to add feedback for this to the next EGPA meeting and schedule this work in for Spring 2018.
17/77 FINANCE Vote on expenditure for new Christmas tree lights for tree on New Road plus set up costs of new electric supply from SSE
The costs from SSE to set up a new supply are £401.54 inc VAT. This is a one off cost, but costs for use of electricity will need to be considered. There is also the cost of getting the meter installed.
A proposal was made to approve these costs by DW, seconded by MC. A majority of Cllrs were in favour and MH was against.
The 3 quotes for lights were given to the committee:
- Festive Lighting recommended by Old Town Business Association £486.00 plus VAT.
- Christmas Direct recommended by Haydon Wick PC £175.48 inc VAT plus £5.99 delivery.
- Festive Lights (from internet) £119.98 plus VAT.
The committee discussed the merits of the supplier and decided that purchasing from a recommended reputable supplier (of the Old Town Christmas lights) would be more cost effective in the long run. (to ensure the longevity of the lights.)
A proposal was made by DW to accept the quote from Festive Lighting. MC seconded and a majority of Cllrs were in favour. MH was against.
A Christmas tree is being supplied for £30 from a local supplier in Chiseldon.
The Council will use SSE to fit the meter.
- Costs of £401.54 inc VAT be approved for installation of new electricity supply from SSE
- Purchase of lights from Festive Lights for £486 plus VAT approved.
17/79 FINANCE Vote on expenditure of £200.00 quote from Allbuild for clearing dismantled shed from behind the pavilion
It was decided to postpone this until after bonfire season to see if anyone local wanted the wood. The Clerk will ask on the local Facebook page.
This will be added to the next Finance agenda should it still need removing.
17/80 FINANCE Vote on the expenditure to maintain the nature area at Hodson Road/New Road due to flood risk
Due to previous flooding of this area and SBC installing a new drainage system, it is important to maintain access to the area for future maintenance. The area was noted on the Parishing maps provided by SBC, however it had not been factored into the contract with Allbuild.
The EGPA committee had approved a cost of £300 plus VAT for the initial cut and £100 plus VAT for 2 further cuts during the year with Allbuild.
A proposal was made by DW to approve these costs. CB seconded and all Cllrs were in favour. MC didn’t vote due to the proximity of his home to this area.
To spend £300 plus VAT initially and then 2 x £100 plus VAT over the next 12 months to maintain access to the drainage pipes in the New Road nature area.
17/81 FINANCE Approve costs of £40.00 plus VAT for 2 new signs at CVPA warning against dropping litter
The EGPA committee had approved these costs as a deterrent against litter dropping at the playground.
A proposal was made by DW to approve these costs. MC seconded and all Cllrs in favour.
The Clerk is to remind parents on FB to ensure their children do not drop litter in this area.
17/82 BUDGET Budget review for 2018/19 precept
MH expressed concern that the annual precept had been increased significantly over the past two years and wished to see the precept increase by only 4 to 5%, and in any case no more than 9%.
The Clerk is to give MH the figures for the village planters for 2018/19.
The Clerk is to look at the Parishing figures to make sure they match the agreement and the total expenditure.
The Clerk is to get figures for repairing the inside of the museum wall if needed.
All committees need to feedback to Finance with their final figures and the 2nd Nov strategy meeting will also need to put forward recommendations.
The December 2017 extra Finance meeting has been scheduled for 4th January 2018.
17/83 POLICIES New Data Protection Policy
IH had offered to start writing this policy which the committee agreed with.
Other Cllrs to provide any information or draft documents if they have them.
17/84 POLICIES New Finance Terms of Reference (TOR) to be approved
A proposal was made by CB to accept the changes to the TOR. DW seconded this and all Cllrs were in favour.
The new Finance TOR is the accepted version for the Council.
17/85 POLICIES Addition to Financial Regulations with out of hours contacts including STORM Also separate proposal for a set limit of approved expenditure to deal with OOH issues
The committee decided that the Clerk, Chair and Vice Chair of the Council should be OOH contacts along with STORM. With a £500 limit expenditure for emergency work such as stopping a leak or securing a building after a break in.
This will go to full council for approval.
17/86 Tennis Club update on Oct 2017 invoice
The Clerk is to remind the TC Chair Julie Porte to cash the cheque for £377 which was a refund of rent paid before the invoice was submitted.
MH is still working on the final invoice due to not all PC invoices being received. He will present the final invoice to the November Finance meeting for approval before this is sent to the Tennis Club.
17/87 Any other Business
CB will approach Lois at Withy King Solicitors to review the STORM contract. The fee will be covered by the Finance Committee.
Meeting closed at 21.31
Action Points to be completed by next meeting date
- 17/29. Ask the Tennis Club to provide their public liability insurance documents. ONGOING
- 17/50. Clerk to arrange first aid course attendance with St Johns Ambulance.
- 17/51. Clerk to sign up to SLCC course.
- 17/53. Write to Wroughton Clerk asking for more details on library business plan and where CPC funds would be going. Also need to see Wroughton’s precept for library funds added.
- 17/58. Create a tender requirement document
- 17/76. Feedback to next EGPA meeting on the decision from Finance on bin emptying near Farm Shop.
- 17/79. Ask on FB page if anyone wants the wooden shed behind the pavilion. Add to next Finance meeting if wood not removed.
- 17/81. Ask on FB if parents can ensure their children do not litter at the CVPA.
- 17/81. Order new CVPA litter signs
- 17/82. Provide 2018/19 figures for village planters to MH for precept
- 17/82. Review 2018/19 parishing figures for precept to ensure they cover the works needed.
- 17/82. Get costs for repairing the inside wall of the museum.
- 17/83. Ask Cllrs to send IH info on Data Protection policy.
- 17/85. Add to Full Council agenda the approval of OOH contacts and £500 expenditure.
- 17/86. Remind TC Chair to cash their refund cheque of £377
- 17/86. Next Finance meeting agenda – add item for finalising TC invoice for 2017
Cllr I Henderson:
- 17/83. Create Data Protection policy for review at Nov 17 Finance meeting