17/82 Declarations of interest

Cllr Rawlings is an allotment holder and Cllr Clarke is the Chair of the Football Club

Public recess

No Comments

17/83 Approval of previous Environment, General Purpose and Amenities minutes from 18th September 2017

No amendments

The minutes of the meeting held on 18th September 2017 were approved as an accurate representation, proposed by Cllr Rawlings, seconded by Cllr Walton; all those at the meeting were in favour.

17/84 Matters arising/Action points for EGPA Committee

Matter arising


Action points



  • 17/03. Follow up with Thames Water in regards to drains overflowing in New Road Meadow Stores area – outstanding with Thames Water for 12 months now. Ongoing.  Clerk to ask SBC to clear drain DONE
  • 17/36. Talk to Dawn at Oakleys Spar about them providing a bin for shop bought rubbish. – ongoing
  • 17/60. Contact Royal Mail about wobbly post box on Stroud’s Hill, DONE
  • 17/60. Clerk to ask BT when decommissioned boxes will be removed. DONE 2 year national plan
  • 17/61. Ask SBC for info on how to arrange a Xmas tree in the Parish. DONE



  • 17/64. Chase SBC for tree survey at Rec ground. Arrange for private survey and request SBC pay the costs.  Ask SBC if new member of staff in place yet. DONE
  • 17/45. Arrange for Aplins to deal with H&S issues at CVPA – ongoing – just balance beam to be replaced. ONGOING
  • 17/46. Advise Ultimate fitness of new charges for Rec Field. (17/77 EGPA Committee) DONE

Cllr Brady:

  • 17/116. Arrange to review lease and engage Withy King to resolve any ambiguous wording issues. Ongoing

Cllr Sunners:

  • 17/57. Investigate water leak with Cllr Clarke. DONE. No sign of leak now

Cllr Walton:

  • 16/106. Provide costings from Tithegrove for new scalpings and hexagonal plastic sheeting to improve Rec ground carpark surface. Cllr Walton is chasing Tithegrove for costs.

New EGPA Committee


  • 17/70. Ask SBC to clear drain outside Meadow Stores on New Road. DONE, Drain was clear
  • 17/70. Ask Ward Cllr Shaw for update on yellow lines on Hodson Road DONE expected Nov 17
  • 17/70. Ask Nigel Hale at SBC for update on work to Draycot Foliat bus stop. DONE
  • 17/72. Arrange meeting with Cllr Costigan, Allbuild and Clerk to review work needed at Home Close nature site. DONE
  • 17/75. Accept Richard Matthews offer of doing allotment inspections DONE
  • 17/75. Pass allotment water tank expenditure to Finance Committee.  DONE
  • 17/77. Ensure budget item entered for 2017/18 budget for rolling replacement of CVPA equipment. DONE
  • 17/80. Invite Susan Lambert to next committee meeting DONE
  • 17/81. Send round pitch improvement quotes for next meeting. Add to agenda. DONE
  • 17/81. Report to Ward Cllrs that pavement between Hodson Road and Burderop Barns is overgrown.  DONE
  • 17/81. Report to Ward Cllrs that crossroads at Draycot Road is overgrown and signs cannot be seen. DONE
  • 17/81. Arrange Snowberry bush at Canney Close to be cut back. DONE
  • 17/81. Arrange for Hodson Road bus stop to be cleared of vegetation. DONE

New action for Clerk to report back to Ward Cllrs that SBC are unable to do the tree survey.

Add item to Finance Agenda to confirm that the Finance Committee managed the lease for the Tennis Club and terms of surface renewal accordingly to the contract from 2014.

Cllr Hill arrives at 19.20

17/85 BUILDING & AMENITIES PRIORITIES – Football Club update

James Lovell representing the Club gave the following update:

All metal barriers have now been painted.

The grass cutting on the pitches over the past month has been a problem due to the weather conditions meaning the grass is longer. The mowers were not cutting the pitch short enough to play on properly. Other teams and referees have commented. The Contractors are also missing strips along both junior and senior pitches.

The committee agreed that Countrywide should be asked to rectify the pitch before the next game.  Cllr Rawlings or another Cllr can meet with Countrywide if needs be.  Allbuild will be asked to do the work if Countrywide cannot.

The proposal was made by Cllr Walton, Cllr Bates seconded and all Cllrs were in favour.

At the back of the pavilion the old shed has been dismantled and needs to be disposed of.

The Club asked if the Parish Council can assist with this.

The Clerk will ask Allbuild for costs for this and will also ask if anyone needs bonfire wood.

Cllr Hill proposed the use of Allbuild, or a skip to remove this waste, Cllr Walton seconded and all Cllrs were in favour.

Cllr Walton is going to investigate skip costs from Tithegrove.

James also asked whether additional working sockets can be put into the pavilion and the referees room.  The Clerk is to talk to Cllr Sunners about this.

The Club has asked about how they apply for the Calley Memorial Hall Grant.   The Clerk will send over the paperwork for this.

The club would like a sit on lawn mower, new shed, line marking equipment and brick dugouts.

With a new mower they can do their own interim cuts throughout the season.

17/86 COMMUNITY PRIORITIES – Netball provision at Tennis Courts

Fiona Allen was in attendance to advise on progress to date.

Emily from the Wiltshire Netball Association has offered to assist with the promotion of a new facility at the Tennis Courts. She will attend the November EGPA meeting to advise further.

They will provide 8 weeks of coaching, and teach the volunteers how to run the scheme themselves.

They can also provide marketing for us and advise on session lengths and types of sessions.

The Clerk will ask Julie Porte to attend the next EGPA meeting.

£3 per person per session seems standard.

James and Fiona both left the meeting at 19.51.

17/87 COMMUNITY PRIORITIES – Susan Lambert, the Dementia Society Coordinator for SBC

Susan Lambert advised the committee of the background of her role within SBC.

There are around 2,000 people living in the area with dementia. Their goal is to keep them living in their communities with a good quality of life. They do visits to schools to educate the children about dementia.

There are dementia friends awareness sessions that can be run in communities and as SBC are Dementia Friends award holders they can accredit other organisations and communities.

Amanda Reynolds-Branch from the care home in Badbury is keen to engage the community with this initiative.

Cllr Sumner is happy to investigate holding some of these sessions. He will investigate further and liaise with Susan.

The Clerk will help promote this on FB, website and noticeboards.

The council will also talk to local shops and the church to get involved.

Susan will provide a link to the safe place stickers which can be used in shops etc.

Susan leaves the meeting at 20.10

Note – there is fly tipping of a white duvet on the road near the Three Trees Farm shop – the Clerk  will organise its removal.

17/88 PARISHING, Environmental Services.  Home Close Nature Area drainage issue

The letter that Cllr Costigan had drafted had been circulated and approved with a couple of minor additions – any further dumping of waste will be charged for removal and any questions should go to the Clerk.

The costs provided by Allbuild were £300 for the first clearance of the area then £100 per maintenance visit afterwards.

The committee proposed 2 additional cuts per year based on the need to keep the area clear to allow access to the drainage pipes.

Cllr Hill proposed that the letter go out to concerned residents, then in 3 weeks we follow up with the first cut by Allbuild.  Cllr Rawlings seconded this and all Cllrs were in favour.

17/89 VILLAGE APPEARANCE – Creating list of works and ownership for the FB Pinned post, website and Ridgeway Bell

A request had been made by the FB admins to have a list of works drawn up showing who was responsible for works – eg CPC, SBC or landowners etc.

It was agreed the Clerk would create this list and circulate to committee members for approval before publication.

17/90 VILLAGE APPEARANCE, bin near Farm Shop is not large enough

It has been reported that the bin near the Farm Shop is always overflowing.  There are 2 options – buy a larger bin or arrange more frequent collections.

After discussion Cllr Walton proposed an extra weekly collection at £2.50 per week for a year to see if this fixes the problem. Cllr Rawlings seconded this and all in favour.

17/91 VILLAGE APPEARANCE, littering signs at CVPA

There was a proposal made to purchase 2 signs (Max cost £40.00) to deter people from dropping litter at CVPA.

Cllr Sunners proposed this course of action, Cllr Walton seconded and all Cllrs were in favour.


The Clerk noted that the renewal letters were due out in November.  The letters have been updated with insurance information and the Committee Chair has approved them.

It was requested that the letter covers grass cutting and clearing of plots.


The tennis club had requested to be able to add a new banner to the fencing. The committee was in agreement that the previous decision to not allow banners on fencing was still in force and relevant.  It was agreed that we can help the club by putting hooks on either the end of the hall or on the garage so they can attach the banners. They can also add free standing poles to hang the banner from.

Cllr Bates is to ask Julie Porte for the exact details and let the Clerk know.


Railings for the museum trench have been quoted at £1500 plus VAT by Allbuild.

This expenditure was proposed by Cllr Rawlings, seconded by Cllr Hill and all Cllrs were in approval.

17/95 BUILDING AND AMENITIES PRIORITIES Carpet for Recreation Hall

Cllr Sunners advised on the quotes received for the new flooring. From The Carpet Shop, Swindon Flooring Company and A&S Carpets. The quote from The Carpet Shop was the best value for the solution needed for the hall floor.

Lino is twice as expensive and wouldn’t work with the building movements as it would crack.

We will need to talk to the Table Tennis Club about floor protectors.  Cllr Sunners will do this.

Cllr Hill proposed that the quote from The Carpet Shop at £1117.15 was accepted, Cllr Walton seconded this and all Cllrs were in favour.

17/96 BUILDING AND AMENITIES PRIORITIES Recreation Hall internal painting

2 quotes were received from iDec and Allbuild. The iDec quote was the lower of the two at £537.54. It was decided to award the contract to iDec.

Cllr Rawlings proposed to give iDec the contract to paint the Rec Hall, Cllr West seconded this and all Cllrs were in favour.

Note – it was decided to leave the fallen tree trunk at the Rec ground in place.

17/97 COMMUNITY PRIORITIES Football pitch improvements and other football matters

The quotes gathered so far were reviewed but it was decided that more investigation needed to take place.  Cllr Walton and Cllr Clarke will investigate further.

It was requested that the teams be allowed to use portable heaters in the pavilion during winter when changing. The committee agreed to this.

The Clerk is to ask Kevin Titcombe to quote for repairs to broken heaters in the Rec Hall and also new sockets in the pavilion.

17/98 BUDGET FOR 2018/19

This item is to be deferred to the November meeting when a final decision is made on the EGPA budget for next year.

Items discussed were further improvements to the Rec ground carpark and a further amount of money set aside for the pitch improvements and the new hall.

17/99 AOB

Cllr Clarke asked about approaching the Tennis Club for using the courts for winter football practice. He was advised to approach the club direct.

Cllr Hill asked about the defibrillator installation, the Clerk advised that the one for the Sports and Social Club was due to be installed soon but there was a problem reaching the surgery.

The Clerk advised that extra quotes for the painting of the Badbury BT box has been received and would be circulated.

The meeting closed at 21.08

Summary of Action Points



  • 17/36. Talk to Dawn at Oakleys Spar about them providing a bin for shop bought rubbish. – ongoing



  • 17/64. Arrange for Aplins to deal with H&S issues at CVPA – ongoing – just balance beam to be replaced

Cllr Brady: 

  • 17/46. Arrange to review lease and engage Withy King to resolve any ambiguous wording issues. Ongoing

Cllr Walton:

  • 16/106. Provide costings from Tithegrove for new scalpings and hexagonal plastic sheeting to improve Rec ground carpark surface.

New EGPA Committee


  • 17/84. Report back to Ward Cllrs that SBC cannot do a tree survey at Rec Ground
  • 17/84. Add new agenda item to Finance agenda to confirm that the Finance Committee manage the lease for the Tennis Club and not the EGPA committee. This included work on the courts.
  • 17/85. Contact Countrywide and ask them to rectify pitch issues before the next weekend games are played.
  • 17/85. Ask Allbuild for costs of removing shed at back of pavilion.  Also ask on FB if anyone needs wood for a bonfire.
  • 17/85. Work with Cllr Sunners on quotes for sockets in pavilion
  • 17/85. Send the Football Club the Calley Memorial Hall grant paperwork
  • 17/86. Ask Julie Porte to attend the November EGPA meeting for netball update
  • 17/87. Arrange for fly tipping near farm shop to be removed
  • 17/97. Ask Kevin Titcombe for costs of new socket in pavilion.

Cllr Bates: 

  • 17/93. Talk to Julie Porte about banner sizes and report back to Clerk

Cllr Walton & Cllr Clarke:

  • 17/97. Investigate costs of pitch improvements further and report back in Nov EGPA meeting.