Local Plan Review by Swindon Borough Council
Please do consider reviewing this material and sending your views in to SBC direct using the methods below. Please do feel free to CC firstname.lastname@example.org so we can collate your views to be considered on our consultee vote back to SBC.
Message from SBC:
As you are aware, the Local Plan Review is underway. The Council will shortly be consulting on a range of alternative options for meeting the Borough’s housing and employment needs during the plan period to 2036. Included within the reviewed Plan are also draft revised development management policies to guide decision making on planning applications submitted to the Council.
From Monday 29th July the documents can be viewed on our consultation portal which can accessed at: www.swindon.gov.uk/localplanreview. Paper copies of the documents will also be available at SBC Reception, Wat Tyler House, Beckhampton Street and these libraries: Central Swindon, North Swindon, West Swindon, Highworth, Wroughton and Parks.
The consultation begins on Monday 29th July and continues for 8 weeks until 5pm Monday 23rd September. We are seeking the views of residents and businesses in order to develop the Council’s preferred approach which will be set out in the final draft plan to be consulted on during winter 2019/20.
Comments should be submitted using the on-line consultation portal available from the website above. Comments can also be sent by e-mail to email@example.com or by post to Planning Policy, Swindon Borough Council, Wat Tyler House, Euclid Street, Swindon, SN1 2JH but should respond to the questions posed by the Local Plan Emerging Strategies Summary Report.
Local Plan/SHELAA guidance:
- The inclusion/exclusion of a site from the SHELAA/Local Plan is neither a guarantee that a site moves forward to a formal planning application nor does it prevent an application from coming forward.
- Even if removed, it does not prevent the developer from making one or repeated attempts at gaining planning permission.
- Even if included, it is not a guarantee that planning permission will be granted – see http://www.chichester.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=22528 (Church Lane, Birdham in the Chichester Harbour AONB). Paras 66, 67 and 68 discuss the inclusion of that site in the SHELAA and the inspector gives “little weight to the fact that the site is identified in the SH[E]AA”. In this instance, the appeal was dismissed by the inspectorate and planning permission refused. While not binding on other planning applications, it gives an insight as to how the SHELAA is viewed in the decision making process, particularly where sites outside of an AONB are identified and have not yet been developed.
- In consultations such as the local plan review, Chiseldon Parish Council count as one representation only, so our comments have the same/similar weight to any comments that any other resident makes. As such, we would always recommend that all residents who hold an interest in a consultation make their own comments directly to the relevant party (in this case SBC, being the planning authority).
- In formal planning applications, we are a statutory consultee and can make comments to SBC. Again, these hold similar weight to that of a single resident (so we would again ask residents to comment directly to the planning authority, SBC) but in addition we can give advice on what we feel would make a planning application more palatable to the community – e.g. design/facilities etc. This advice/guidance may not necessarily be followed, as the ultimate decision maker is Swindon Borough Council.
- A resident making a better or stronger argument than the Parish Council may find that their comment(s) hold more weight in the planning decision making process.
View the latest from SBC on the SHELAA document here: Council removes Chiseldon Site from SHELAA
Update 19th December: Confirmation from Rebecca Davies from the North Wessex Downs AONB on their position of the Hodson Road site for potential development: “Is if an application were to be submitted to SBC for 30-40 houses on the Hodsons Road site and the developer could demonstrate special circumstances then the NWD AONB would not object to the principle of development and would be open to discussions with the developer or SBC on detailed design, layout and landscaping.”
Download the New Road planning application public meeting 11.6.18 as a PDF
Download the FINAL Public SHELAA meeting 15.11.18 notes as a PDF
Download the North Wessex Downs AONB notes after Parish Council meeting as a PDF
Download the North Wessex Downs AONB reply to resident query 11th Dec 2018 as a PDF
Download the Chiseldon Parish Council response to Swindon Borough Council for 3 SHELAA sites Dec 2018 as a PDF
Download the North Wessex Downs AONB reply as a PDF
Download the Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and Development – National Trust as a PDF
Download the SHELAA public Q&A as a PDF
Download the SHELAA Final Report Feb 2019 as a PDF
Download the Appendix Appeal Decision at Church Lane Birdham as a PDF
The site identified as SO432 in Badbury (shown on the map link below) was discussed at a meeting on Tuesday 5th March, arranged by Ward Cllr Gary Sumner at Liddington Village Hall. Around 30 local resident’s attended along with the potential developer, and a Chiseldon Parish Cllr, to find out more.
The current draft proposal is for a development of 16 houses, with 50% made available for affordable housing. The remainder would be 3 and 4 bed detached properties.
Opinions were shared on the suitability of using this area for a new development, and ideas were also suggested on how to make such a development (if it went ahead) the most appealing to the surrounding Hamlet of Badbury.
Items such as:
- Material used in the build
- Orientation of the properties with the road
- Car parking
- Garden size
- How to guarantee affordable homes for local people
- Building works traffic mitigation
Ideas for speed calming through the area were also discussed as part of this potential plan.
Any comments you wish to make about this proposed development can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com and please do CC the Chiseldon Parish Clerk on firstname.lastname@example.org. Comments will be kept on file at SBC for the official consultation due in Summer 2019.
It should be noted that sites in green on the SHELAA do not guarantee a planning application will be approved, and sites in red on the SHELAA do not stop a developer from submitting a planning application. Any site would need to submit a planning application which would be discussed on merit by SBC and all consultees using current legislation and guidelines.
A further meeting is to be held to review the drawings with the suggestions given.